Interested in making your own Rust server? Having a private server is the ideal way to create a closed community just for you and your friends to take on wild boars, bears, and even each other without unwanted interruption. This might seem intimidating at first, but if you’ve survived a night naked and alone on an island, setting up a Rust server should be no big deal.
Just follow these simple steps and you’ll have your own dedicated Rust server up and running in no time.
Why set up your own Rust server?
There are plenty of official servers on Rust for you to join, but you won’t be able to choose who you play with and how your game is run. So if you want ultimate control over your gaming experience, you’ll need to create your own private gaming server.
Over time, many community servers managed by players have cropped up on Rust. With these servers, the host can install their own mods, choose their maps, customise game mechanics and choose who to invite onto the server.
Another benefit of hosting a private gaming server is that you could potentially turn it into a money-making opportunity. By offering unique features in your server, you’ll create an exclusive gaming community that players will pay to access.
Rust server requirements (minimum specs)
To make sure your server runs as smoothly as possible, you'll need a minimum of 4GB RAM. That said, we recommend at least 8GB for optimal performance or 10GB RAM if you plan on hosting a large number of players at once.
When it comes to processing power, you'll need a CPU with at least 3.4GHz or 4GHz to accommodate hundreds of players at a time. And a good internet connection is a must.
Get the right specs, and you’ll host epic gaming sessions in no time. But which server is best for Rust?
These minimum specs can apply to both Windows and Linux servers.
Which server model is best for Rust?
Now it’s time to select a server model! If you’re not sure where to begin, don’t worry – we’ve done all of the hard work for you by putting together a few recommended models:
Recommmended Virtual Private Server
Recommended Cloud Server
Recommended AMD Dedicated Server
|Fasthosts VPS XL||Fasthosts Cloud Server XL||Ryzen 5 Pro-HDD|
|Fasthosts VPS XXL||Fasthosts Cloud Server XL||Ryzen 5 Pro-HDD|
|Fasthosts VPS XXL||Fasthosts Cloud Server XXL||Ryzen 5 Pro-HDD|
How to set up a Rust server (Windows VPS)
As we mentioned, setting up a Rust server is easier than you think. Follow the steps below to create your own on a Windows VPS.
- Head to ‘This PC’ and click on ‘Local Disk (C:)’.
- Create a folder called ‘SteamCMD’.
- Click here to download SteamCMD for Windows.
- Extract the contents of the ZIP folder into the ‘SteamCMD’ folder you just made.
- Click ‘steamcmd’ and run it. SteamCMD should update automatically.
- Type ‘force_install_dir c:\rust_server\’ in the command to log in, followed by ‘login anonymous’ and ‘app_update 258550’.
- Once installed, head to the ‘rust_server’ folder.
- Create a new file named ‘start_server.bat’ and copy and paste the following:
C:\SteamCMD\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir c:\rust_server\ +app_update 258550 +quit
RustDedicated.exe -batchmode +server.port 28015 +server.level "Procedural Map" +server.seed 1234 +server.worldsize 4000 +server.maxplayers 10 +server.hostname "Name of Server as Shown on the Client Server List" +server.description "Description shown on server connection window." +server.url "http://yourwebsite.com" +server.headerimage "http://yourwebsite.com/serverimage.jpg" +server.identity "server1" +rcon.port 28016 +rcon.password letmein +rcon.web 1
- Now adjust the numbers to your liking (for example, the world size, max number of players, and server hostname).
- Next you’ll need to make sure to open port 28015 TCP within any external firewalls connected to your server. For Fasthosts Dedicated and VPS servers you can do this following our firewall policy help guide.
- Hit the Windows key and search for ‘Allow an app through Windows Firewall’.
- Click on ‘Allow another app…’.
- Click ‘Browse’ then find the ‘C:/rust_server’ file.
- Click ‘RustDedicated.exe.’ and hit ‘Open’.
- Press the ‘Add’ button then hit ‘OK’ to make sure the server runs.
- Head to ‘C:/rust_server’ on your computer and click ‘start_server.bat’.
You’re ready to start playing Rust!
Need support for your Rust server?
Still unsure how to set up a server for Rust? Worry not! If you choose us for your hosting needs, we’re available 24/7 to support you.
Looking for a dedicated server for Rust? You’re in luck! Our Game Server Hosting packages allow you to play by your own rules – with full customisation, 99.999% uptime, and complete security. Get in touch with us on 0800 640 8584 for more information.